Saturday, April 25, 2015

Album Review: The Front Bottoms by The Front Bottoms

Photo from YouTube
Words by: Emma Comeaux

Founded in 2007 The Front Bottoms has come quite a long way to reach the point they have today. Their self-titled album was released in 2011 and they released Talon Of The Hawk after, in 2013.

Flashlight- The opening song for the album releases a sense of anatomy, of being. The instrumentals I can compare to feeling whole. The sincerity of the lyrics, and just the song in general is overwhelming in the best of ways. 

Maps- I have a strong connection to all of The Front Bottom’s songs, I can listen to all of their albums the entire way through because of how relatable they are. It feels like you’re in the song. I love the way that can affect you, and how it pulls you into the music.

Looking Like You Just Woke Up- Everything about The Front Bottoms fits together so neatly. From the instruments all the way to the vocals and lyrics. They’re such a magnetic band, they pull you in. 

Mountain- This song is about fixing yourself, about being who you are. I think there’s a recurring theme of anatomy and your being in all the products The Front Bottoms create. Producing a truly spectacular image. 

Rhode Island- This song was based off a guy they met at a show hosted in a mowed down cornfield. The guy was just completely out of it, he had passed out on the ground after they had noticed him the first day. The next day when they saw him they went to check on him. Eventually after he reassured them he was fine he explained how he was trying to bike to Florida over the summer. The backpack he carried had a whole bunch of prescription drugs in it. They ended up meeting the guy again after they toured over the summer, he made it all the way to Georgia and headed back.

The Beers- The music in this song is my favorite on the entire album, it just provides such a great vibe. The lyrics are sad and emotional, but somehow it’s still a song you can get up and dance around to. It’s all about trying to impress a girl who has no idea she’s worth it.

Father- All the different instruments provide The Front Bottoms with a unique sound you can’t trace back to any other band, the originality is noteworthy. The songs aren’t complicated or complex, but the simplicity of them is one of their best features. 

Swimming Pool- “Crack my ribcage open, and pull my heart right through.” The lyrics are always my favorite part of a song. (If they’re good lyrics.) There’s no question of the greatness of The Front Bottoms lyrical ability.

The Boredom Is The Reason I Started Swimming It’s Also The Reason I Started Sinking- Another one of my favorite songs on this album, the whole song just relates to me, it opens me up and frees me from complications. Talking about change, and what you can do to proliferate the change, this song shows the relationship of one empty soul, and one to full that wants to show nothing at all.

Bathtub- A lot of The Front Bottoms songs and albums are centered on themes, one of my favorites is the concept of washing all the bad away. (If you want it put simply, that is.) “So I will scrub and scrub ‘til my bodies clean.”

Legit Tattoo Gun- I love the tone changes, and it’s almost like a completely different song in some places. It flows so well that it sounds harmonized though, creating a lengthier song which I can appreciate.

Hooped Earrings- The completion of this album ends on a note of crazy people in your life. How you feel towards the people who assume the role they play in your life is greater than it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment