Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Interview: Myrle

By: Liz Coffey

With his soulful take on rock & roll, Myrle is currently making his way up through the ropes of the music industry. Based in Toronto, ON, many outlets have compared him to legends like Steve Earle, Tom Waits, and even an updated version of Bruce Springsteen. Myrle brings all of that and more to the table with his latest full-length release, A Dozen Hearts. Over email, we talked about his career thus far, and where he's hoping to go in the future. Enjoy! 

Can you introduce yourself and give us one strange fact about you?

I am a Canadian singer/songwriter who performs under the moniker “Myrle”, although my name is Jamie Clarke. Strange fact: Myrle is my grandfather’s name, he is a personal hero of mine.  He fought in WWII for the FSSF as a sniper, it was the only Canadian/American unit, the first commando/special services unit that there ever was. If you’ve ever seen the Quentin Tarantino movie “Inglorious Bastards” it was based off of what they did and Brad Pitt sports my grandfather’s uniform with their symbol on his sleeve.

Being in the music business can be incredibly difficult at times. When and how did you decide that it was worth it, and something that you truly wanted to do?

I don’t think people make music because they choose to, they do it because they are compelled to. I’ve travelled, worked at too many jobs to mention, changed careers, etc etc etc. But for some reason a guitar and notebook has always been my number one travelling companion.

What artists influence you the most, and how do you incorporate that into your own style?

I’ve always been a huge Ron Hawkins fan, above all others. I incorporated it most recently by having him produce my most recent album. He plays and sings all over the thing, can’t ask for better than that!

Sum up your style in three words (not genres!):

Honest, Real life

How does a song or album come together for you? Do you find it easier to start with music and let the lyrics, vice versa, or do you just start with whatever comes to you first?

Songs are like special little snowflakes. Each and every one comes on its own in its own way.  Some I recall writing and what was going on in my life, others are a blur. That’s a common question but certainly not one I’ve ever found a black and white answer to.

Speaking of albums, you just released your latest music in October? What was the experience like making the album, and how have fans been responding to it?

The experience was great. Again, I was able to work with someone I’ve always looked up to, and he was a gem. At no point did I ever feel pressured under him, we met eye to eye and just had a great time making it. We plan to make the next one together too, it’s been great!
And the response has been great, there are certainly more people listening to me now than ever before so it all feels like it’s the right direction.

What are you most looking forward to in 2016, both personally and in your music?

I made this record without a band, just a crew of people I know and respect that came together and helped me out, and since then I’ve built a band around me of really talented players. I’m most looking forward to growing with them and working towards something with a team in place.  We’ve got some ideas……..

What are some of the best and worst parts about being based in Toronto?

Toronto is a great city, a tough one to crack but a great one.  So in a city of thousands of venues you have to work to get someone to actually come to see you play and convince them that what you are doing is worth investing their time in. But I live a bit north of the big smoke in a smaller area called Muskoka so I have the best of both worlds. I get to know my community and have locals come and support what I am doing and I’m an arms throw from the city.

Do you have any advice for people just getting involved in the industry? Any things     `that you’ve learned along the way that you wish you’d known when you started?

Music is the easy part, you’re most likely doing it because you are passionate and it comes naturally to you. The hard part is not letting things get in the way. Have a good time but don’t let the lifestyle get in the way, because it’ll get in the way.

Follow Myrle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment