Monday, May 4, 2015

Concert Review: Future Hearts Tour

Words by: Xochitl Hansen

When I woke up this past Wednesday, I knew right away it was going to be a great day. Not skipping a beat, I in the best manner possible persevered throughout the work day. Once I busted out of classes a little early and high tailed my to the venue in downtown- I was lucky enough to beat the five o’clock traffic- Austin, Texas, I took a giant sight of relief.  Jumping in the line that wrapped around the building, and begun the long shuffle of making my way into the venue. After a few minutes had passed, and I was near the security guards who were scanning tickets, I let out a chuckle as I realized it’s a good thing bigger venues and their workers have done this before otherwise the whole thing would have been chaos!  Seconds later, I was up the stairs and my ticket was scanned and I was “speed walking”- even though no matter how much the venue security yells, we all know it was full blown sprinting- the general admission ‘pit’ that I was lucky enough to be part of for the night. Upon entry into the actual stage area of the venue, I was greeted by the same F skull C K backdrop that I remember All Time Low used whilst on the House Party Tour with comrades A Day to Remember.




Smiling, I jumped in the best spot-which happened to be only a few people from the barricade- I could personally get, and began one of the longest waits on my life. Since I had made it to the venue thirty minutes before doors, I now had to wait an extra hour until the first band took the stage. Trying to save my photo battery for the awesome footage I would happen to get later that night, I began to strike up a conversation with the people next to me. Once we started talking about past tours we've attended, favorite songs, opinions on albums, and just fan girl in general time began to fly! With what only seemed like a brief five minutes chat, had eaten up the hour and next thing everyone knew everything went black, and with the beat of the drums New York bad boys State Champs hit the stage.


Jumping straight into the first song State Champs made the crowd go from zero to full blown in a matter of a few chords. As everyone – even if you didn't know the lyrics- jumped and moved around, I started to become more in sync with the music as I sung right along as I was part of the band. Had caught them on their first headlining tour in October of 2014, I was proud of State Champs. Going from a band that played a small venue with no stage and later invited people to get pizza, to a band that played a large venue with balconies and tall barrier they played with the same energy none the less! With only a short set, State Champs made their impact on the night and then left as the controlled chaos of set change occurred. Killing no time the drums,amps, and other equipment were switched and a angelic voiced began to flooded the speakers.



Not 100% familiar with the band Tonight Alive, I was skeptic at first. After hearing the set they performed I walked away with none other than a great fascination for the band, coming from the land down under or better known as Australia this band showed me - and hopefully the other concert attendees- nothing less then good time. With most of the music scene heavily saturated with male vocalists, Jenna McDougall defiantly shows anyone who can catch them live what the music scene is missing out on. With a higher more angelic voice Jenna complimented the male counterparts in the band well,which allowed for everyone song to flow as if it was sung like a angels. Once Tonight Alive completed their set the tour continued to roll on.


As the roadies switched equipment and Tonight Alive instruments were off the space, the crowd began to murmur due to the fact the next band-Issues- had their equipment covered. As the venue went black once again and the sheets that were covering the  equipment the crowd went wild as our questions began to be answered. Suddenly the amplifiers started flashing, and the familiar Pokemon theme song began to play as the rest of the crowd sang along. To add to the nostalgia, i looked up to realize the flashing light was accompanied with the all too familiar logo of the Pokemon cartridges that most children carried to play on their Game boy Advances. All wrapped up in the blast from the past, it took me a moment to realize Issue had taken the stage.Before they started to play any music, the whole crowd was up on their feet and moving very fast. Not even skipping a beat, front man Tyler Carter jumped straight in one of their more popular songs causing a eruption of joyful screams. To quote the girl who was next to me " well they are a little heavier then the rest", Issues was. Being the only band with a screamer, they did tend to have a heavier sound to them. Once they finished, my legs were sore from the pushing from the crowd and they pogoing I did in enjoyment, but I knew this was only the beginning.




Have caught All Time Low before, I was some what prepared  on what to expect with how the crowd would act, but this tour, I was wrong. From five minutes before until the exact moment they opened with the song Satellites off their new album Future Hearts, the crowd was shout A T L non stop. Though, it wasn't like All Time Low would disappoint. Zack,Rian,Jack, and Alex all took the stage with smiles wider then the Cheshire cat, and welcomed the whole venue with open arms. Continuing straight into another song after Satellites, the crowd screamed as Alex Gaskarth yelled the famous words " Stop f******g around with my emotions", as everyone became even more packed like sardines, the show slowly was starting to get wilder. Half way through their nineteen song set list, the band slowed it down and played a few classic slow songs such as Therapy. I'll be honest, I grew up listening to All Time Low, so when they began to play this song I immediately started singing the words.As the raw emotion hit me like a tidal wave, I began to ball like a two year old who cant find their parents. No matter what fans or critiques say about All Time Low, they will always be four guys with lyrics and melodies that pack enough truth and meaning to make a grown man cry. Going from slow and acoustic to fast and upbeat, All Time Low pulled out Tonight Alive vocalist Jenna McDougall to hit the stage in the bands more famous partner song 'A Love Like War'.  From there the night got better, between pulling fans on stage for the song 'Time Bomb', playing covers of newly inducted Rock 'n' Roll hall of famers Green Day the Future Hearts Tour was defiantly not a let down. 


To top the whole night off, my inner fan girl screamed when I caught Jack Barakat's sweat towel. ( May be a tad gross, but hey its a memento from the tour)


No comments:

Post a Comment