Monday, June 8, 2015

Album Review: Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

Photo from Wikipedia

Words by: Erin Robinson

21 Pilots a Columbus based Rock/Rap duo took Ohio music scene by force with their second full length album, with powerful synth, piano parts and funny yet meaningful rhymes.  By the end of 2012 they caught the attention of major record labels.
They sold out the LC Pavilion in Columbus Ohio, which really brought attention to this local base group. Soon after they signed with the label Fueled by Ramen. Right after signing with the label they began production on their third full length record Vessel.
The cover of the album shows their grandfathers what a sweet concept. Also this album includes six revamped songs and six new ones as well.

  1. Ode To Sleep (5:08) - A very fan favorite which mixes heavy bass and synth. Has smooth rhymes over top the music. A song about being depressed and anxious at the same time. Being drawn between sleep and being awake and the demons that come with the night.
  2. Holding On To You (4:23) - "Lyrics that mean nothing, we were gifted with thought, is it time to move our feet to the introspective beat, it ain't the speakers that bump hearts, it’s our hearts that make the beat." Lyrics to show the fans that music is where the heart is.
  3. Migraine (3:49) – A song that speaks to us all. Battling everyday fears and pressures of being who we are. Am I the only one I know, waging the war behind my face, and above my throat?"
  4. House Of Gold (2:43) – Tyler wrote this about his mother. She asked me, "Son, when I grow old, will you buy me a house of gold?” his remark I will make you a Queen.
  5. Car Radio (4:27) – A fan favorite as well, this song is in spoken verse. Great line in the song. “Faith is to be awake and to be awake is for us to think.”
  6. Semi-Automatic (4:13) – “I'm never what I like, I’m double sided.” Again words about living with depression and anxiety problems. Two sides to everyone’s fears.
  7. Screen (3:49) – An honest tribute to God. I do not know why I would go In front of you and hide my soul, Cause you’re the only one who knows it” God see right thru our screens (hearts). Great song!
  8. The Run And Go (3:49) – A fun and piano driven song. Don't wanna call you in the nighttime Don’t wanna give you all my pieces, Don’t wanna hand you all my trouble.” The person singing the lyrics doesn’t want to burden the other person with their problems yet they are reaching out to them.
  9. Fake You Out (3:51) – “I, I'll never be, be what you see inside You say I’m not alone but I’m petrified, you that you are close, is close the closet star? You just feel twice as far.” Strong lyrics, talking about having someone love you but is afraid of not being what they see.
  10.  Guns For Hands (4:33) - A fan favorite from Regional At Best. Interesting lyrics that talks about self-harm and suicidal thoughts. Talking about teens not being able to express their problems to their teachers or parents. Needing a way out but letting them know that this is not the way out. To express their problems, their sorrows with words and music. Not to take their life.
  11. Trees (4:27) –“ I know where you stand Silent in the trees” some people are interpreting that this song is about the singer and God. God stands silent as we go thru life listening to us and being near us. Beautiful concept.
  12. Truce (2:22) – This song should be interpreted by the one listening because I believe that each one of us would have different interpretations of what the lyrics mean to each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment