Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Interview: Tamra

By: Liz Coffey

Tamra Cherubin, known on stage simply as Tamra, is a soul/R&B singer-songwriter. She hails from Rochester, NY and strives to use her gifted voice in order to empower and help others. Passionate and authentic, she is getting ready to release an EP titled Big Hair in May. We sat down at a coffee shop to chat about her beginnings, her inspirations, and a myriad of other topics on life and music. Check it out!

Please introduce yourself and give us a strange fact about yourself.

I am Tamra, from Rochester, NY. I go by Tamra when I do music, I like to just use my first name. A strange fact about me? I can make up a song off of anything, like something goofy. It’s what I was known for when I was younger, people would just be like, “Tamra! Make up a song about this or that.” I would make it up right on the spot. I think it makes me good with songwriting now.

Another strange thing that not many people know is that I went to school to be a funeral director. Yep!  Right after high school, I went to mortuary school where I learned how to embalm, plan funerals, budget, what the different casket types were… we role played a lot, where we would sit down with families and apologize for their loss and such. Not many people know it’s a thing you can go to school for, so they’re are usually pretty surprised. It was different, unique, and I could help people. If there’s something that every human being can relate to, no matter where they come from - death is it. I worked in a funeral home for a few years before I realized it wasn’t for me. When I started seeing young people being buried over stupid stuff, I changed to teaching, thinking maybe I could save some lives.  

When did you first get into music, and when did you first decide this is what you really wanted to do? Was there a particular moment that you realized, or was it something that happened along the way?

I first started getting into it through church. That was where music was every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. We had rehearsals for the choir every Tuesday or something, and so I got into it; my mom sang in the choir for praise and worship. I grew up seeing her on stage, and  hearing her and my aunt singing in the kitchen and harmonizing… I just loved it. I started singing as a little girl, but then started to be a little shy about it.

I didn’t start singing for real until I went to college, and it was a way to make money. I was a broke college student, and they would have these contests where you could win money. There was one my first night at school, and I think I sang a Lauryn Hill song, which I won with. So after that I started going different places to sing, and I was actually winning the money. With all of the competitions, I was asked to be the choir club president… which led to more singing. That was where I got more comfortable with singing.

After college, I came back to church choir and from there I started with open mics. I started a band, and I was finally doing music just to do it. I started to really enjoy it, which is when I auditioned for The Voice. The feedback I got from there was so good. They actually really liked me, I almost made it. They called me and they told me to keep doing this and to audition again. That was in 2014, and I have been serious about music ever since. It made me realize just how much I want to do this.

What artists influence you the most and how do you incorporate that into your own style?

The first person that comes to mind is James Brown. My grandmother loved James Brown - it was Jesus and James Brown - those were the two people you were supposed to know and look up to. Entertaining wise, he was amazing! He was authentic and real, he knew how to captivate an audience, he sang with feeling and passion, and he did things his own way. I think I can relate to him in a lot of ways when it comes to him like, just doing what feels good instead of what is technically right in music. I’m a little bit out of the box like that too. It’s important to be a great singer, but it’s also about presenting the feeling of whatever it is that you’re trying to get across. Also, he created music that made you dance but also think about social issues; he was very political as well as being an artist. He never forgot where he came from and he never forgot his community. He’s the epitome of soul, and that’s what I want to sing.

Describe your sound to someone who has never heard you before.

This one is hard, because I feel like I haven’t really cultivated a sound yet of my own. I mean vocally I have, but musically I haven’t had time to figure that out yet. Vocally, I’m very soulful, church-y, a little bit raspy - I sing the way I was taught to in the church. Musically, right now is very neo-soul, a little bit funky, with some hip hop. Also, my husband raps, so in some of my songs, that’s thrown in too.

How did your Vintage Soul Sessions come together? Do you plan on doing any more of them?

Hell no! I’m just kidding. I’m only 30 years old, but I LOVE old school any day over newer artists. I was obsessed with Billy Joel growing up, I remember hearing songs and wondering who he was talking about. He told a story with his music. So I wanted to pay homage to those who inspired me. They’re like my ancestors, you know? They mean so much to me in a lot of ways, because if it wasn’t for them I may not be singing now. I also just like the nostalgia of it. Those songs that take you back to a certain time in your life, with certain memories. I do plan on doing more of them. There’s more to release now, plus there’s more I want to do still.

You live by the mantra, “No ego, just art.” Where did that come from and how do you feel you live it every day?

That’s all a lie actually. No! I just think that the kind a person I am wouldn’t usually be on a stage. I’m very shy, and I’ve worked through a lot of stage fright and things, but I’m a performer. It’s my calling, so at the end of the day I need to put away my ego and my fear to create the art that I’m supposed to create. Dealing with artists too, some of them are very egotistic - not all of them, but some of them. But it should be about the music and the message. It’s not about being in front or whatever, this is me doing what I’m meant to do and saying what I need to. I am trying to give back the gift that God gave me.

Aside from your music, what are your passions?

One of my biggest passions is children. I run an after school program in the city, and when I think about this opportunity to help children and their families, and to help mold the next generation, it’s huge to me. I get to teach kids about music, history, loving who they are, and help them become socially intelligent. It’s awesome to me that I get to do that.

Another passion of mine is basic human rights. I was taught that if someone isn’t being treated right, you stick up for them. So that’s what I do. I’m always going to be the person to stick up for someone who’s being oppressed, or pushed down, or bullied.

When you write your music and book shows, do you have a target demographic in mind, or are you just letting the music and your performance speak for themselves?

I don’t have a target group, I’m telling my story. I have a song called Don’t Know What to Say, and it’s about my husband. It’s a love song about how he’s brought color to my world, and I thank God for him every day because he’s blessed me with this guy. So that’s my love story. Then there’s a song called Big Hair, which has to do with my big afro and how I’ve become confident in that. So I’m just writing songs that have to do with what I can relate to, and if other people relate to that and it speaks to them, that’s awesome! I was also writing a song a few days ago called Changes, which is more of a political song talking about the changes I see coming. Whatever is in my heart at a given time, like the political issues going on now, I want to see how I can be a part of manifesting these ideas in the right way.

What has been your biggest breakthrough in music and what has been your biggest challenge?

The biggest breakthrough I think was that I can do all things through Christ. I have worked through a lot of anxiety and stage fright, but knowing that this is what I’m meant to do got me through it. No one wants to see me go up on stage and sound like crap, they’re there to see a show, so there’s no reason to be nervous, you know?

A challenge was trying to find people who reflected what I wanted to do. I’m huge on chemistry, so like I can be humble and trying to work with my gift, while working with a whole bunch of egotistical people, and I don’t want to do that. I want to work with people just as humble as me and that was hard to find. I also think the crowd in Rochester can be challenging. I’ve played in different cities and the audiences are way less harsh. That’s not to say I’ve had anything particularly bad come from Rochester, but I think if you can break through here you can go anywhere.

What are your plans for the future with music and shows?

For music, my plans are to record. So far, I’ve been mostly on stage performing live. I’m actually recording right now for my EP, which will be out on May 13. The album release show will be on May 14 at ONE in Rochester at 6pm. For future gigs, I’m hoping to get out of Rochester and be consistently play outside of Rochester. I’d really just like to travel and tour, and get my name out there.

How do promote yourself? What have you found to be the best way to get your name out?

Right now I’m kind of figuring this all out on my own. I’ve promoted my music through Facebook and Instagram mostly. It’s a lot of social media, of course things like YouTube. I also use flyers and such for my shows, as well as going to other peoples’ shows and connecting with other artists and audiences. Open mics have also been really helpful.

Do you have any advice for kids who are trying to make it into the industry?

Do the kids have any advice for me? I could use some!

I would say, honestly, to have a group of people around you who will tell you the truth and support you completely. Also, stay true to who you are and be authentic. Find your own voice and don’t mimic. The more different you are the better!

Follow Tamra on her socials! 





Instagram: @TamraMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment